Family Support Requirements for Military Personnel FAQ

1. If my spouse and I separate, am I required to financially support him/her?
Yes, for Army personnel, US Army Regulation (AR) 608-99 requires soldiers to support family members during periods of separation
if they do not live in on-post government quarters. AR 608-99 provides that a soldier separated from his or her family members will
pay, at a minimum, an amount equal to the soldier’s “Basic Allowance for Housing II” at the “with dependents” rate (BAH II-WITH)*,
which varies depending on the soldier’s pay grade. If there is a court order or a written agreement between the soldier and the
spouse, however, the soldier must pay the amount set forth in the court order or agreement.

2. What if I don’t receive BAH? Do I still have to pay an amount equivalent to BAH II-WITH to my spouse?
Your obligation under AR 608-99 does not depend on your receipt of BAH. You must still provide financial support at the BAH II WITH
rate, which is a standard rate the Army determines regardless of where the soldier resides.

3. When is the money due?
Support must be paid on the 1st of every month for the previous month. The support must also be pro-rated if the soldier is required
to pay support for a partial month. For example, if a soldier and his wife begin living separately in October and she does not reside
in government quarters, the soldier must pay to his wife support for the month of October no later than November 1st.

4. How do I make payments?
Support payments can be made by check, money order, electronic fund transfer, voluntary allotment, involuntary allotment,
garnishment, or cash. However, cash payments are discouraged. Keep copies of canceled checks and money order receipts to
prove that you paid support in case your spouse makes a nonsupport claim to your commander.

5. Who enforces AR 608-99 support payments?
The soldier’s commander enforces the requirement of AR 608-99. Inquiries about nonsupport should be directed in writing to the
soldier’s commander. Such inquiries should request a response in writing.

6. What is the amount of support due when a soldier has to support multiple family units (i.e., two families or sets of
dependents) that live off-post?
The amount of support due to each supported family member (the pro-rata share) is determined as follows:
Amount of Support = _ _1 x Applicable BAH II-WITH Rate______
(pro-rata share) Total Number of Supported Family Members
However, the following conditions will apply. First, any court-ordered support will be paid as stated. No support payments are
required for family members living in government housing. However, they will be counted to determine the pro-rata share. Lastly,
any remaining family members will receive a pro rate share of the BAH II-WITH amount regardless of the amount of support paid to
other family members. Absent a court order, supported family members do not include non-biological dependents, such as
stepchildren, unless they are adopted.

7. If my spouse and I are service members, we have no children together, and there is no court order or separation
agreement, can I get minimum support under AR 608-99?
No, an Army service member is not required to provide a minimum amount of support to a spouse on active duty in the armed

8. What if my spouse and I are service members and I have custody of our children and live off-post, will I receive support
from my soldier spouse?
Yes, the soldier spouse will provide support at the BAH-DIFF rate to the military member having custody of the child or children if
they do not reside in government housing.

9. Are in-kind payments acceptable for support under AR 608-99?
Yes, a soldier can meet his support obligation by directly paying for non-government housing expenses on behalf of family members
who reside there. These expenses are limited to:

(1) rent,
(2) principal and interest payments due on any outstanding loan secured on the non-government housing and the real property taxes
and property insurance due under an escrow agreement covering the same property; and
(3) essential utilities such as gas, electricity, and water. Non-government housing expenses do NOT include telephone and cable
television charges, or any other charges for which the soldier is not legally responsible by reason of contract, lease, or loan agreement.

* Note that “BAH II-WITH” is now called “BAH RC/T” at the “with dependents” rate. AR 608-99, however, still refers to the support
obligation as BAH II-WITH.
Military Family Support Requirements
Custom Search
This is not a government sponsored website any information contained here is for reference only and
should not be taken as legal advice always consult an attorney before making any legal decisions
military family support requirements
Army NCO Counseling Pack All in one Updated January 2018

Counseling Soldiers has always been a challenge for new Noncommissioned
Officers so our team of NCOs has created over 60 Counseling Statement
Examples with updated forms and regulations to provide all NCOs the best
resource needed to produce clean and to the point counseling statements.
Product features include:

  • Over 60 Counseling Statement Examples in PDF Format
  • Free Quarterly Updates sent to you by Email
  • 24/7 Support via Email and Live Chat
  • Download to your Smart Phone or Tablet so you can work anywhere
  • Includes the Army Legal Handbook, Senior NCO and NCOER Guides
  • Money Back Guarantee

New Product Sale $9.99 (Retail $59.99)
Time remaining to Order at sale price
Late For Duty
Soldier Debt
Overweight Counseling
APFT Failure
Under Age Drinking
Failure to Report
Diagnostic APFT Failure
Low APFT Score Prior to WLC
Overweight Prior to WLC
Excess Leave
Travel Pass
Monthly Overweight
Safety Counseling
Magic Statement
Failure to Conduct Risk Assessment
Disobeying an Order
Drunk on Duty
Letter of Reprimand
Negligent Weapons Discharge
Emergency Leave
Motorcycle Safety
Redeployment Safety
Improper Use of Prescription Drugs
Underweight Counseling
Off Limits Areas
No Contact Order
Inappropriate Relations
Protective Order
Monthly Counseling
WLC Counseling
Family Care Plan
Initial Counseling PVT-SPC
Promotion Counseling
Loss Military Property
Domestic Issues
Lost Military ID Card
Bar To Reenlist
Government Travel Card
Corrective Training
Initial Family Care Plan
Invalid Family Care Plan
NCO Quarterly Counseling
Tuition Assistance
AWOL Letter Home
AWOL Point Paper
GT Score Improvement
Off Duty Employment
Initiate FLAG
Transfer FLAG
Marriage Counseling
Good Job Counseling
Good Conduct Medal Not Approved
Failure to Follow the Chain of Command
Late/Failed Appointments
Includes the following Counseling Examples:
Army Counseling Examples
Custom Search