AR 600–8–19 Enlisted Promotions and Reductions
This Update is Dated 16 MAY 2019 (Download the Entire Regulation Below the Revisions)Latest revisions include the following:
- Establishes exception authority to the Director of Military Personnel Management as
appropriate (para 1–4a(10)).
- Incorporates (from AR 600–20) date of rank policies upon enlistment, subsequent
enlistment/reenlistment, and call/ordered to active duty or active duty for training (paras 1–
13a through 1–13c).
- Incorporates policy from AD 2015–31 (paras 1–29a(2) through (8), para 1–33d(1), and 1–
- Adds graduation of the Master Leaders Course as a promotion requirement to master
sergeant (para 1–29a(8)).
- Establishes a temporary promotion authority under certain conditions (para 1–36).
- Revises intent, purpose, and concepts of the semi-centralized promotion system (para 3–
- Incorporates Army Directive 2017–23, hereby superseded (para 3–5c).
- Establishes a Headquarters, Department of the Army bar to continued service when
Soldiers fail to qualify themselves for promotion board appearance (para 3–11b(1)(b)l).
- Requires commanders who reduce a Soldier for inefficiency from the grade of staff
sergeant or sergeant, who meets the criteria for mandatory list integration, be required to
initiate a bar to continued service against that Soldier (para 3–24).
- Removes service remaining requirements for some Army Reserve promotions to sergeant
and staff sergeant (para 3–33).
- Incorporates Army Directive 2017–28 (throughout).
- Changes noncommissioned officer education system to noncommissioned officer
professional development system (throughout).
- Incorporates the Distributed Leader Course (throughout).
- Provides clarifying language (throughout).
- Changes regional support commands to readiness divisions (throughout).
- Updates numerous other policies (throughout).