The updated Army Regulation 670-1 and related policy will replace more than 50 all-Army
messages and, “include new policies on many topics such as tattoos, fingernail polish, and
general uniform wear,” the Army said. “Some of the contents will also be punitive.”
The Army did not immediately release details of the overhauled regulations, but they are
expected within the next few weeks.
News of McHugh’s approval of the policy first went out in a Thursday memo to all general
The service is working to finalize a pamphlet that will be sent to every corner of the Army in
hopes of educating soldiers on the new rules.
Proposed Updates to AR 670-1
1. MANY changes are coming to AR 670-1. This is just a summary of some of them Please read
the regulation and understand it so that you can properly enforce the standards.
2. New revision of the regulation will define the following terms: eccentric, faddish,
conservative, inconspicuous, unsightly, hair braids/plaits.
3. AR 670-1 will be a PUNITIVE order in the new regulation.
4. Sideburns will not extend below the top of the ear.
5. Female and Male hair grooming standards will become more restrictive and better defined
(I'll have pictures for you at MHS).
6. Females will be allowed to put their hair into a pony tail during PT.
7. Males will be prohibited from wearing cosmetics to include nail polish, females may wear
cosmetics conservatively, but can only wear nail polish in service, mess, or dress uniforms.
8. Females fingernail length will not exceed 1/4 inch, no fake nails, add-ons, or extensions will be
9. Tattoos will not be visible above the neck line when the IPFU is worn. Tattoos will not
extend below the wrist line and not on the hands. Sleeve tattoos will be prohibited (this one will
10. Soldiers will not walk while engaged in activities that require the hand salute (eating, cell
phone use, smoking, etc.).
11. ACUs will not be commercially pressed; hand ironing of the ACU only will be authorized.
12. Bags worn over the shoulder will only be black or the color print of the uniform i.e. ACU,
13. the new regulation will specify civilian clothes standards both on and off duty and both on
and off post.
14. No visible body piercings on or off duty and on or off post, males will never be allowed to
wear earrings. Ear gauging will be unauthorized.
15. No dental ornamentation or gold teeth will be authorized.
16. Soldiers will be authorized to wear authorized ballistic eye wear in garrison.
17. Officers will be authorized to wear non-subdued rank on their headgear in garrison.
18. Males will be authorized to carry black umbrella with ASU.
Older Related info:
CSM/SGM update NCOES Height and weight, APFT Update
Structured Self Development SSD Comprehensive Soldier Fitness
Other Notes AR 670-1 update 2014
This is not a Government Sponsored website